So this week it was all about learning how to use Wikis. I have to say that at first glance I was a bit nervous about using a wiki, but after reading the orientation, I think I'll do fine. Plus the Wikis in Plain English video was great. It really helped me understand fully what a "Wiki" is.
Ok, so to the questions that we are supposed to consider...
In regards to telling others or advising others on using Wikipedia, I have always told them it is a great jumping off point in research projects (or for fun). I also try to remember to tell them that the site can be edited by anyone so it's always a good idea to check the information using other trusted sources.
I personally have never edited a Wikipedia. I have seriously thought about, but have been to lazy to do it. I have thought of creating a bogus page on my best friend several times- I'm thinking it would be a great April Fool's joke. If I do I will be sure to post the link! :)
Wiki syntax, wiki syntax...I'm still not sure if I understand but I guess practice makes it perfect huh? And unfortunately I do not know HTML- but I am hoping to change this gross negligence of mine.
I think that a Wiki would be kind of cool to have for my library. But I guess a website is good enough. When I am not working at my beloved library, I work at a school after hours as a before and after school facilitator with a Recreation department. (I'm not allowed to give out the Park's or the School's information due to privacy issues.) Since the school I work at is part of a larger group of schools and connected to the Park's department I think it would be neat to have a Wiki for that. The Wiki could be a page for each school or a main page that links to other pages. Who knows- maybe this will happen.
Okay, so this concludes my very great post. I know that you all have been crazily impressed- I do try. :P
One final thought: Did anyone else think the Wikis in Plain English was funny? I totally cracked up! If all tutorials were that cool then we would all be proficient in everything!
Peace Out all you crazy library people! Until next session!
I loved that little video! I think humor makes learning so much more palatable! ;-) Enjoyed your post!
ReplyDeleteA fun post! I enjoy and appreciate your contributions!
ReplyDeleteI thought the video was pretty funny:) Great post and I like your blog page.
ReplyDelete