I have a question for you.
But before we get to the question I need to tell you a story.
I work at a school part time when I am not at my beloved library. I have developed a rapport with the school's librarian. She is quite amazing actually and has played a role in my decision to indulge my passion for all things library related. She offered great advice and I am very thankful for and to her.
Well, since I have this rapport, when I have a free moment I try to visit her in the library. One day I was in the library when a group of kids were there. A volunteer was helping the students check their books out. One little boy brought this big book to the desk and the volunteer looked at the big book then the little boy and said this, "Oh this book is too hard for you, let's go find something smaller that you can read." I was floored and furious all at the same time. I couldn't believe that she said that! I mean who was she to judge?
That brings me to my question: Would you ever tell a child or anyone else that they couldn't read something because it was too big or hard for them? Or would you encourage them to tackle it?
I personally would never utter those words. I think that we learn best by challenging ourselves (there have been studies that have backed this up.). If that wasn't the case then why would teachers/professors assign hard text?
I also think to a child those words can be very damaging. Think about it, you are in a state of development and very impressionable, you decide to read something that looks a bit difficult, but someone tells you can't read it because its too hard. How would you feel? Good? Sad?
I think that child would feel bad and think that it was no use in trying to do difficult things because someone will be there telling him he can't do it. But that's my opinion.
I'm interested in what you think. Please le3ave me a comment.
Stay great you wonderful library people!
No comments:
Post a Comment