We can all agree that it is important for libraries to have a website to provide easy accessibility to our patrons. Understandably, it is harder for smaller libraries to develop these websites because of tight budgets and what not.
Well, according to Disruptive Jester, the OCLC's Innovation Lab is starting a project ot that would offer smaller libraries an inexpensive website. The prices range from $5 per month to $40 per month depending upon the modules and etc.
Disruptive Jester provided a link to the sample site: http://experimental.worldcat.org/lib/n/us.tn.loremville-public-library
Here is the link to the Disruptive Jester Site where I found the article: http://dltj.org/article/thursday-threads-2011w2/
Now moving on to Deliciousness...
I started using Delicious and was kind of interested in it, but didn't really develop a passion for it? At first it was cool and everything, but I found signing in evertyime I wanted to access my bookmarks really quite annoying. I didn't really use it a lot for my research. I bookmarked my information sites, but I used my RSS feeder more for the information than I did Delicious.
I am currently using Delicious for Academic purposes, more specifically this class, but that's all I'm using it for. I probably won't use it much in my personal life. I may end up using it in my professional life.
Overall I found this project to be interesting. It really opened my eyes to the resources and tools that are available to consolidate the amount of information we access via Web. I liked learning about the different topics that are becoming discussions in the library world. I know that I will definitely benefit from all the knowledge I have acquired and all the knowledge I will acquire.
(Normally I would close with my normal tag line, but I think the seriousness of this assignment warrants otherwise. Just imagine that it is here! :D)
I agree with you that Delicious seems better suited to academic purposes rather than personal. I don't think I'll use it much outside of school either.
ReplyDelete